It’s not like I have hit rock bottom. I am not living under a bridge eating cat food. What is true is that for the first time I can see a sequence of events where rock bottom is possible. And it wouldn’t take much. I am in trouble if...
She is a famous author. At the time we met, she was in her early-to-mid fifties. What I noticed first about her were her feet, misshapen by bunions and corns, toes crowded and crossing over to form toe braids. But these feet weren’t hidden in orthopedic shoes or sensible...
In my mid-30s, I briefly dated a psychologist. I don’t remember much about him except that his preferred patient was a YAVIS: Young, Attractive, Verbal, Intelligent and Successful. The term was new to me. YAVIS problems, he told me, were more interesting. YAVIS patients had agency and choice and...
Search The Site
- Review: ‘55, Underemployed, and Faking Normal’ is a wake-up call
- What I Learned In The Recession That Might Help You Now
- 55, Unemployed and Faking Normal: Part 2 of the Elizabeth White Interview
- Friday Book Club: 55, Underemployed and Faking Normal
- Opinion: You’re likely to be out of a job in your 50s — 4 ways to prepare and minimize the pain